When I got engaged I was living in this fairytale that living life together and loving each other was going to be a walk in the park. After 6 pregnancies, 4 miscarriages, out of state moves, and finances piling up, I can tell you it’s not as easy as I thought it was going to be. I love my husband and in all seriousness, he might be the closest thing to a “perfect” husband as you can get. I’m incredibly thankful God chose me to be his wife.
The national rate of divorce is 50% and guess what, it doesn’t decrease in the church! How sad. I want to share a little encouragement. Your marriage is worth the work and it CAN be amazing.
At my bridal shower someone had this great idea to have everyone write me a piece of marriage advice. I’m lucky enough to have several women in my life who have strong, committed, and successful marriages. So I was obviously pretty stoked to get advice from them about how they made that happen, because that’s what I wanted too!
Here are 13 of most valuable tips I got. I wanted to share these because I truly believe that they are part of the reason why my marriage has been so successful!
- Keep God at the center of your marriage.
- Forgive quickly.
- Spend time together!
- Speak highly of him.
- Regularly pray for each other.
- Cultivate a friendship.
- Try to use the word “we” more than “me”.
- Take the time to address small issues before they become big issues.
- Be your each others biggest cheerleaders.
- Play together! *Added bonus– Go do something fun without the kids.
- Encourage him more than you nag him.
- If you must fight, fight with him and NOT against him.
- Kiss him at least 3 times a day! ** When he leaves for work, when he gets home, and when you go to bed.
These tips have been how we have created a such a great marriage. I don’t say this to brag, I say it to tell you it’s possible! My marriage is young, but I have confidence that my marriage will last because I understand what a Godly marriage looks like. I understand how God created a marriage to mirror the relationship He desires with the church. You can have this type of marriage too!